Sunday, February 25, 2007

Quarantine or Snowed-In...depend on how you look at it.

Winter Storm is right! Spencer has been sick all week, missing a whole week of school. Gene stayed home with him as he was ill as well. Yesterday, after 3 days of fever I thought I should go get chest xrays and a throat culture. By the time I was seen - everyone else in Madison had the same idea - the snow had started again. I had already taken a hard hit sliding into a median on the way to the clinic and I had hoped to make it home before the storm started again. Walgreen's was the only pharmacy open - so everyone was there. I waited so long that I ended up shopping - I came home with pneumonia, vitamins, fish oil, antibiotics and an O Magazine.

Then Sam woke up this a.m with a fever... So while these snow days are meant for playing in the snow and just hanging out with the family - no responsibilities. Play games, eat chili... for us this one has been spent indoors, sleeping, coughing, searching for the kleenex, refilling water bottles.... and Gene shoveling - A LOT!

So, back to the waiting room. As I sat in the waiting room I had a lot of time to read, catch up on a podcast message - one from Erwin McManus and one from Rob Bell. As I "devoted myself to the apostles teaching", I stared at the fish tank. Tropical fish are amazing. Whoever thought that fish tanks in waiting rooms was a good idea, was very right. These fish remind me of the blessings of God and how the blessings I am surrounded with have outnumbered any of the trials.

So, this weekend is redeemed by tropical fish, a fantastic family, a creative Spencer, a very sweet- despite -his-illness Sam, a wonderful husband who is taking care of all of us, talking to my mom til my phone goes dead, watching the neighborhood snowball fights as they try to shovel, and chatting with friends on gmail! God is good!

now, we'll watch the Oscars together (Ellen is hilarious!) ... how did you spend the weekend?

No comments: